I purchased MacFamilyTree 5. Now I heard there was a free upgrade if I purchased after a certain date. How do I get that upgrade for free?
If you purchased MacFamilyTree 5 after April 20, 2010, you're entitled to a free upgrade serial number. Please check yours - if it starts with SYN-MFTR, then you already have a valid MacFamilyTree 6 serial. Start with step 1 below then. If you have a serial starting with MFT, please contact our support team via the website's Contact Form and send us a proof of purchase. Boxed versions as well as online purchases are entitled to the free upgrade as long as you purchased after April 20, 2010.
Once we sent you the upgrade serial:
- Download and install MacFamilyTree 6 from our website
- Launch MacFamilyTree 6
- The registration dialog will open.
- Enter your free upgrade serial number including the capital letters and all the hyphens
- A second text field will open then
- Enter your previous MacFamilyTree serial number
- Confirm to register
The process of entering the serial numbers is also demonstrated in this video:
More information is available in the User Guide. You can find it in MacFamilyTree's Help Menu or for download here.